Sunday, June 24, 2012

GOD and Fear Don’t Occupy the Same Space

Webster’s Dictionary defines the word fear as an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger and accompanied by increased autonomic activity. Based on the current condition of the economy and the ups and downs of everyday life, we all can agree that in one form or another, fear has hijacked our minds, bodies and souls. After 9/11, people were fearful of getting onto airplanes, and the world was backed into a corner by fear as news of the Swine Flu outbreak hit the media circuit. Fear has been around for thousands of years as Mark 4:38 tells us how fearful the disciples were of drowning as the scripture reads, “The disciples woke Him and said to Him, 'Teacher, don't you care if we drown?” Fear has a way of destroying our confidence, hopes, and dreams. I wonder how many marriages have ended because of fear. I wonder how many people continue to put off joining a church because of fear. I even wonder how many people battle with self about reading GODS word because they are fearful of the transformation that will take place in their lives if they open the bible.
As I was listening to one of the great thinkers and speakers of this time, he made a statement that ultimately inspired me to share this word about fear. Civil rights activist Dick Gregory said, “GOD and fear don’t occupy the same place”.  After closely analyzing this statement, I begin to look at fear in a whole different way and I came to the conclusion that if GOD is present in your life, then fear has no room to work.  To make more sense of this great thought, and to prove its validity, I turned to the word of GOD. What does GOD have to say about fear? Let’s take a look at a scripture from the bible to bring light to this statement.
Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with Mmy righteous right hand.  Isaiah 41:10 NKJV
In this particular scripture, GOD makes it plain. GOD tells us “Fear not” which should put us at peace because our Heavenly father is telling us not to be afraid. GOD is giving us advice and who better to get advice from than GOD. More importantly, in the next line, HE tells us, “For I am with you”. This one phrase speaks volumes as it brings to light the statement made by Dick Gregory that GOD and fear don’t occupy the same space. If GOD is telling you that he is with you, then fear is not present. If there is anything that scares fear, it’s GOD. If you are afraid of losing your job or your house because of the down turn in the economy, GOD is with you. If you are fearful that your son who is running the streets will go to prison or end up dead, GOD says fear not. The scripture then moves on to say “Yes, I will help you”. If you truly look at this particular line, GOD has already answered our prayers for help before we even ask him to intervene. Who else do you know will answer your prayers and help you before you even ask them to do so?  Finally, GOD says, “I will uphold you with My righteous right hand” This one line informs me that GOD wants to have an up close and personal relationship with us and HE will be with us as we go through our earthly storms. No matter what situation we face in life, GOD will eliminate fear, strengthen us, and keep HIS righteous hand in our daily lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment